Job Title Hydraulics Engineer - Transportation Market Location Alpharetta, GA US
Atlanta, GA US
Baton Rouge, LA US
Birmingham, AL US
Charlotte, NC US
Jackson, MS US (Primary)
Knoxville, TN US
Lexington, KY US
Louisville, KY US
Nashville, TN US
Raleigh, NC 27601 US
Tallahassee, FL US
Tampa, FL US
Job Type Full-time Job Function Engineering Education Bachelor's Degree Job Description
Our transportation team helps improve the connectivity of the community through solutions that support the safe and efficient movement of goods, services and people.
- The individual will provide technical support across Gresham Smith’s Transportation Market to assist in the performance of roadway and bridge hydraulic design services for a variety of municipal and state clients.
- Provide coordination of project execution and control on the hydraulic design elements of civil transportation projects to achieve continuity of purpose within scope, budget, and time schedules from initial start-up through final design.
- The individual will be responsible for roadway hydraulic design, including hydrology, channels, culverts, energy dissipators, storm drainage systems and storage facilities for drainage areas of less than 1000 acres.
- For drainage areas of greater than 1000 acres, the individual will evaluate bridge design alternatives considering stream stability, backwater, flow distribution, stream velocities, scour potential, flood hazards, tidal dynamics and consistency with established National Flood Insurance Program criteria.
- Coordinate hydraulic efforts with the assigned roadway design and/or structures team(s) to ensure completeness and accuracy of the overall project design effort.
- Grow Gresham Smith’s transportation hydraulics practice and staff to meet the hydraulic design needs of clients throughout our market.
- Bachelor's degree in Environmental or Civil Engineering, specializing in Hydrology and Hydraulics.
- Minimum of 6 years of bridge and roadway hydraulic design experience is required, however a minimum of 10 years of related experience is preferred. The applicant should have a professional engineering license.
- Experience managing clients and projects.
- Experience with drainage design applications such as HY-8 Culvert Hydraulic Analysis Program, FHWA Hydraulic Toolbox, HEC-RAS, PondPack, StormCAD, StreamStats, HEC-HMS, WMS, and SMS.
- Experience with complex floodplain (two-dimensional flow) modeling applications such as SRH-2D or FLO-2D.
- Microstation experience would be desirable.
- Familiarity with the following publications:
- FHWA Hydraulic Design of Highway Culverts, (HDS-5);
- FHWA River Engineering for Highway Encroachments, Highways in the River Environment, (HDS-6);
- FHWA Hydraulic Design of Safe Bridges, (HDS-7);
- FHWA Design of Riprap Revetment, (HEC-11)
- FHWA Hydraulic Design of Energy Dissipators for Culverts and Channels, (HEC-14);
- FHWA Design of Roadside Channels with Flexible Linings, (HEC-15);
- FHWA Evaluating Scour at Bridges, (HEC-18);
- FHWA Stream Stability at Highway Structures, (HEC-20);
- FHWA Design of Bridge Deck Drainage, (HEC-21)
- FHWA Urban Drainage Design Manual, (HEC-22);
- FHWA Bridge Scour and Stream Instability Countermeasures, (HEC-23);
- FHWA Assessing Stream Channel Stability at Bridges in Physiographic Regions, (HRT-05-072);
- AASHTO Drainage Manual; and
- FEMA “No-Rise/No-Impact” certification requirements.
Gresham Smith is committed to fostering a diverse workforce and is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, or any other classification protected by law.
Gresham Smith will not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters, headhunters, contract recruiters, search firms or employment agencies. An executed GRESHAM PLACEMENT SERVICES AGREEMENT (PSA) is required prior to any payment obligation for either a referral or recruiter fee. In the event a recruiter or agency submits a resume or candidate without a previously executed PSA, GRESHAM SMITH explicitly reserves the right to recruit and hire those candidate(s) at its discretion, and without any financial obligation whatsoever to the recruiter or agency. Any such unsolicited resume or candidate contact information, including those submitted directly to GRESHAM SMITH’S hiring managers or any other employee, shall become the property of GRESHAM SMITH upon receipt.