University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB) is currently seeking an Associate Director of Capital Projects to join Office of Design and Construction.
UMB offers a generous benefits package that includes 22 vacation days, 14 floating and holidays, 15 sick days; comprehensive health insurance and retirement options; and tuition remission for employees and their dependents at any of the University System of Maryland schools.
• Responsible for the oversight of capital projects at regional campuses including aspects of budgeting, planning, design, and construction for capital projects at regional campuses. Provide leadership and direction to subordinate staff and other stakeholders.
• Lead contract negotiations with design consultants and construction contractors. Advise executive leadership at the selected service center institutions on all construction efforts including capital budgeting. Evaluate contractor claims and develop response strategies with the Office of Procurement and the State Attorney General’s office.
• Develop and implement policies and procedures related to the management of capital projects, development of budgets, selection of consultants and contractors for capital projects, negotiation of consultant's contracts and major changes to consultants and contractors contracts. Consultant contracts negotiated by this position can exceed $10M for a single contract.
• Represent the Baltimore Region before the Board of Public Works and the Maryland Office of Capital Budget. Responsible for the management of the capital budget and may interface with Department of Budget and Management &Legislature.
• Manage a team of Project Managers and Senior Project Managers and assist them in their management of design and construction projects of the largest size (>$50M) and/or multiple projects of the highest levels of complexity. Develop architecture and engineering scopes of work, develop budgets and schedules, review and negotiate fee proposals, manage design and construction progress schedules. Coordinate document distribution processes to internal and external team members. Fill in, as needed, in the management of such projects.
• Review cost estimates and lead/monitor estimate reconciliation and value engineering to maintain project budget. Monitor project progress for compliance with Capital Project Management schedules, avoiding and resolving potential delays.
• Participate, and lead as appropriate, in department wide change management initiatives for process improvement.
• Create a cohesive work team that works collaboratively to achieve unit’s goals.
• Oversees the recruitment, performance, and training of team members and continually reviews strengths and weaknesses of staff to maintain a well-trained, highly involved, and motivated team.
• Perform other related duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Architecture, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Structural Engineering, Architectural Engineering, or Construction Management, or a related field.
Experience: Ten (10) years of experience in project design, management, implementation, and assessment; and construction of institutional or commercial building projects. Experience in the management of large capital projects, project management, project budgeting is preferred.
Supervisory: Three (3) years of direct management or supervisory role experience.
Certification/Licensure: State of Maryland Professional Engineer or Architect licensure preferred. Project Management Institute PMP or CMAA Certified Construction Manager (CCM) preferred
Other: Financial Disclosure is required.
Hiring Range: Commensurate with education and experience
If accommodations are needed for a disability, please contact Staffing & Career Services at HRJobs@umaryland.edu. Maryland Relay can be accessed by dialing 711 (in-state) or 1-800-735-2258.
UMB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law or policy.
NOTES: Telecommuting is allowed.
Internal Number: 2000010H