What You Will Do
- Perform and check bridge geometry, design and quantity calculations.
- Review / check plans for bridges and other transportation related structures. Develop contract documents, such as specifications, cost estimates and review of construction support documents such as shop drawings or contractor requests for information.
- Perform NBI bridge inspections & load ratings.
- Coordinate work activities and provide guidance to supporting staff.
A successful candidate will also have experience in structure analysis, structural capacity analysis (ratings), and bridge rehabilitation design (rail/highway bridges).
- Perform highway/rail bridge/structure condition inspections.
- Develop bridge condition evaluation reports with effective repair/rehabilitation recommendations.
- Coordinate field activity, access equipment, and MOT vendors.
- Perform or check structural load capacity rating analyses for rail and highway structures.
- Review existing bridge/structure plans to identify critical elements, details, fracture critical members, and structural load paths.
- Assist with inspection coordination and analysis activities.
- Minimum Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering.
- Registered South Carolina PE preferred.
- 5-8 years of experience working as bridge design engineer.
- Experience with design and plan development for SCDOT is required.
- Experience with AASHTO LRFD/LRFR concrete and steel design and analysis.
- Proficient with Conspan, RC Pier, structural design programs and Microsoft Office XP (Word, Excel). Familiar with STAAD, Merlin Dash, MDX, or similar programs.
- Strong basic knowledge of the bridge plan development and detailing preferred.
- Familiarity with SCDOT’s Bridge Inspection Guidance Documentfor inspections preferred.
- Detail oriented with strong skills in structural analysis, steel design and concrete design as it relates to transportation structures.
- Diversified knowledge of engineering principles and practices in broad areas related to bridge design; Substructure design and Superstructure design.
- Completed the comprehensive Safety Inspection of In-Service Bridges (NHI Course 130055) and the Fracture Critical Inspection Techniques for Steel Bridges (NHI Course 130078).
- Experience with use of under bridge access equipment (man lifts, snoopers, UB, etc.)
- Clear verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work in a team environment, self-starter, demonstrated organization skills, team player, and commitment to continuous improvement.
- Must have the physical abilities to transverse steep embankments, work at heights and in confined spaces, climbing, carrying ladders and gear, work in adverse weather conditions, etc.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
Life at Gannett Fleming
For more than 100 years , we’ve been a leader in global infrastructure solutions with a focus on planning, design, technology, and construction management services for a diverse array of markets and disciplines. Across more than 60 offices, 2,500+ highly qualified professionals are united in an unyielding commitment to deliver excellence to every client and every project, every day.
Gannett Fleming is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veterans status or other characteristics protected by law.
Gannett Fleming will not sponsor an employment visa (e.g., H-1B visa), including any visa renewal during employment, for any candidate for this position. No relocation assistance will be provided for this position. Local residents will be given preference.
NO AGENCIES PLEASE : Unsolicited resumes from third party agencies will not be accepted.
Location: Columbia, South Carolina
Working Hours: 8 AM – 5 PM
Employment Status: Full-time