Plans, directs, and coordinates activities concerned with design, construction, modification, and maintenance of equipment and machinery in medical center facilities by performing the following duties personally or through subordinates. Under limited supervision, directs, supervises, and monitors the Engineering operation and maintenance staff. Ensures efficient and reliable operation of all machinery, electrical and plumbing systems within the medical center. Assists in the formulation of plans, policies and procedures to implement or comply with The Joint Commission standards, regional directives, applicable codes and good hospital engineering practice.
- Establishes standards and policies for pollution control, installation, modification, quality control, testing, operating procedure, inspection, and maintenance of equipment.
- Directs maintenance of plant buildings, quality control, testing, operating procedure, inspection, and maintenance of equipment.
- Coordinates requirements for new designs, surveys, and maintenance schedules for equipment and machinery.
- Prepares bid sheets and contracts for construction and facilities acquisition.
- Provides training and in-service programs for all engineering staff to ensure safe and effective operation of all physical plant equipment and compliance with applicable policies and procedures.
- Tests newly installed machines and equipment to ensure fulfillment of contract specifications.
- Assists the Director of Facility Operations or designee in preparing budgets, planning, renovation projects, and other projects as determined by the Director of Facility Operations or designee.
- Supervisory responsibilities: Manages subordinate supervisors in Plant Operations.
- Responsible for overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of these units.
- Also directly supervises non-supervisory incumbents.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organizations policies and applicable laws.
- Responsibilities include interviewing and hiring and training incumbents, planning assigning and directing work, praising performance, rewarding and disciplining incumbents, and addressing complaints and resolving problems subject to management approval.
- Performs other related duties.
- Ten (10) years of experience in maintenance
License, Certification, Registration
- CFC Certification.
- Valid California Drivers License.
- Competency to operate microprocessor based devices.
- Working knowledge of all trade classifications including electrical, HVAC, plumbing, carpentry, telecommunications, etc.
- Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos.
- Ability to write simple correspondence.
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other incumbents of the organization.
- Also refer to Position Specifications outlined in the appropriate collective agreement.
- Five (5) years of experience in an Assistant Chief Engineer capacity preferred.