About San Diego Gas & Electric
At SDG&E, we are committed to the community we call home, delivering clean, safe and reliable energy to better the lives of the people we serve in San Diego and southern Orange counties. Our commitment means we are creating a sustainable future by providing almost 45 percent of its electricity from renewable sources; modernizing natural gas pipelines; accelerating the adoption of electric vehicles; supporting numerous non-profit partners; and, investing in innovative technologies to ensure safe and reliable operation of the region's infrastructure for generations to come.
Our highly trained and responsive employees with their diverse skills, talents and ideas are the reason we can deliver on our commitment and are building America's best energy company. They are also the reason why we have been recognized with the industry's most coveted awards. Our employees undertake challenging work and receive highly competitive compensation and benefits. As one of the region's largest employers, we're always searching for talented and bright people to join our team. After all, it takes the best to build the best.
About the Position
The Senior Engineer, in the Civil/Structural Engineering Section, prepares structural engineering designs, specifications, standards, studies, cost estimates and sound technical recommendations, in support of projects and tasks managed by others within the department or other departments, and is responsible for engineering solutions to solve problems for new facilities and repairs/modifications to existing facilities related to the SDG&E electric transmission/distribution system.
- Provides leadership and direction to engineers, designers, planners, analysts and field personnel.
- Provides technical expertise to one or multiple project teams for the evaluation of, and resolution to, engineering problems and designs in collaboration with other engineering disciplines.
- Gathers data, performs calculations and prepares designs to develop technically sound conclusions, recommendations and results.
- Oversees and coordinates engineering and economic feasibility studies and cost analyses related to the design, construction and permitting of electric facilities.
- Follows up on implementation of recommendations and/or acceptance of conclusions to assess accuracy and/or completeness. Evaluates job requests to determine purpose, scope and requirements. May include the assessment of alternative methods, assessment of outside support requirements, and review of Company, City, State, and Regulatory Agency Codes.
- Manages specific capital projects to ensure that they are built to standards, built on time, and within budget. Conducts safety and reliability related incident investigations. Manages and coordinates all activities leading to the successful completion of projects including, scoping, consultant or contractor selection, cost estimates, budgeting, permitting, design, construction support, material procurement and start-up.
- Provides direction to contractors, consultants, Company engineers, technical specialists and the remainder of the project team. Utilizes departmental project control systems to maintain budget and schedule and to provide timely status reports.
- Interprets state and federal codes, industry standards, and Company standards or specifications. Participates in, and provides technical input to, review of proposed changes in regulatory requirements affecting codes and standards. Recommends modifications to Company policy and procedures that reflect regulatory changes.
- Develops Company standards, specifications and procedures governing selection, design and construction of components and systems to meet Company needs on a long-term basis and with optimum economic considerations.
- Stays abreast of the latest changes, trends and technological advancements in the industry through attendance at conferences and seminars, continuing education, and published literature. Maintains familiarity with Company operations to effectively support internal client requests.
- Performs other duties as assigned. Normally works in an office environment. However, project assignments may involve extensive field work over extended periods of time. Travel outside of Company service territory is rarely required.
***Based on qualifications this position may be filled at a higher level***
- Bachelor's degree in civil or structural engineering is required.
- An advanced degree in civil engineering, with an emphasis in structural engineering is desirable.
- Registration as a professional civil engineer in the state of California is required. Registration with an out-of-state license is acceptable if it is reciprocal to California and if a full California professional civil engineering license can be granted within 1-½ years of position appointment.
- Must have a minimum of 5 years of increasingly challenging and responsible civil/structural engineering design experience. Experience with electric transmission or substation design is preferred.
- A background in civil/structural design is mandatory. Steel, concrete, and masonry design experience and construction management experience are highly desirable. Familiarity with various foundation types, including pads, drilled piers, and micropiles is preferred.
- ACAD, PLS-CADD, MFAD, and Risa experience is preferred.