This opportunity allows access and participation on some of the largest scale transportation projects in California. The chosen candidate will have the opportunity to grow professionally through ongoing training, courses, and certifications from one of the largest quality assurance programs in the world. This is an excellent opportunity for those with experience in engineering, materials engineering, materials testing, and quality assurance who are ready to grow and have more responsibilities. In this role, you will be working to make sure our client's processes, submittals, and workmanship are all compliant with their specifications. This position will be a good mix of office and fieldwork and the travel is minimal.
The work in this role includes:
- Work with customers as the single point of contact, including Resident Engineers (RE), Structure Construction Representatives (SR), District Materials Engineers (DME), Design, contractors, suppliers, and vendors. Conduct various materials-related meetings and help support effective materials management for the project.
- Manage verification and acceptance of work product pursuant to QA activities in accordance with the guidelines set forth by Caltrans. Identify and document deviations and non-conformances from established standards and ensure resolution.
- Make objective and reasonable materials engineering decisions related to ensuring materials and products used in Caltrans construction projects comply with contract requirements including performing project engineering reviews to identify material-related issues that may affect project quality.
- Assist Caltrans in anticipating and resolving any issues associated with material source inspection and QA activities. Meet with appropriate Caltrans project personnel to identify materials related issues and recommends solutions consistent with project documents and Quality System manuals
- Analyze material data provided by technical staff, including inspectors, in order to determine engineering solutions and provide engineering recommendations to customers.
- Provide direction to inspectors and technical staff regarding materials inspection requirements. Maintain standards and consistency while minimizing the impact on work schedule and cost.
- Visit job sites, fabrication and manufacturing shops as needed to perform field observations and ensure adequate QA measures are employed in order to ensure compliance with the project requirements. Ensure all Quality Control Plans are reviewed and submitted on time and review inspection reports in a timely manner. Complete other QA related duties as assigned by the Caltrans Quality Assurance and Source Inspection (QASI) Branch Senior for a Task Order.
- Review engineering calculations, material submittals, and contractor generated Requests For Information (RFI).
- Coordinate and meet regularly with a team of engineers and technicians as needed to perform the work.
- Prepare estimates, budgets and proposals.
- Assess conditions for safety concerns
Required Skills and Experience:
- Professional Engineer (P.E.) registered with the State of California - or the ability to attain within 6 months from hire
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering – with an emphasis preferably in construction, materials, mechanical, or quality systems
- Minimum of 3 years of experience with transportation projects
- Previous experience with materials testing or materials engineering
- Commitment to client service, employee success, quality, and safety.
- In-depth knowledge of Caltrans engineering, construction, and project management jurisdiction requirements.
- Previous experience with Caltrans
- Proficient technical writer (i.e. clear, detailed, and concise) and reviewer of data and reports.
- Technical knowledge of various construction processes and systems, including structural steel, welding, reinforced concrete, and corrosion protection.
- Strong public speaking and presentation skills.
- Working knowledge and experience with Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook).
- Current driver’s license with acceptable (i.e. good) driving record.
- Authorization to work in the United States.
- Master’s degree in Engineering
- Previous experience in project management
- ASQ certification