Title will be adjusted accordingly, commensurate with experience.
Reporting to the Executive Director of Engineering, the lead Professional Engineer will lead the engineering group. This person will be responsible for the performance of work that requires a highly developed knowledge of structural engineering practices, contemporary building envelope design, and restoration. The lead PE will provide investigation, design, costing, and construction administration and periodic inspection services to implement and maintain structural integrity, function, and safety. The lead PE will also be responsible for project budgets, quality assurance, and risk management. This individual will advise and mentor staff, the engineering team, and project teams. This person must have expertise in total building enclosure systems that includes, but is not limited to: masonry veneer wall systems; solid wall masonry construction; curtain walls; reinforced concrete; and steel structures.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following.
(Performs other assignments or duties as required.)
- Gains understanding of the assigned project by reviewing drawings, researching project documents, and gaining insight from Executive Leadership. Responsible for establishing and maintaining the structural integrity of building enclosure systems and their related components from design development through construction.
- Establishes (or Consults on) project plan and scope of work development by meeting with Project Team to review drawings, conduct site investigations, approve design, specifications, timelines, and cost estimates. May participate in meetings with clients to identify problems and propose resolutions. Utilizes structural engineering theory and empirical knowledge of structural performance standards to assess suggested designs, determine what meets requirements and provide sustainable solutions.
- Consults during scope of work development and cost estimate preparation by exercising discretion and judgment that is based upon an advanced knowledge of contemporary building technologies and building enclosure systems, perform analysis of existing structural assemblies (including preparation of calculations) to determine integrity. Recommends and implements improved ways to extract, process, and use raw materials. Uses knowledge of new materials that improve performance of products and takes advantage of advances in technology.
- Assists with the execution of construction documents by Utilizing knowledge of industry practices, mathematics, building materials, and other physical sciences. Provide design of structural repairs/reinforcement as necessary for construction documents. Work with and mentor the appropriate staff with tasks necessary to complete the project or project phase.
- Aid in the production of contract bid documents by developing project specifications and bid documents. Uses familiarity with industry products or systems designed and educates the contractor on what products will work best.
- Sustains customer confidence by meeting with the client periodically to review and update the scope of the project, the schedule, and the project costs. Maintains reputation for excellent service in monitoring project progress, coordinating activities, approving changes, determining causes of failures, recommending actions, and troubleshooting to solutions. Responds to all customer inquiries in a timely manner.
- Builds and maintains the corporate reputation and stability by collaborating positively with customers, government agencies, community organizations, employees; enforcing ethical business practices; establishing and enforcing good customer service practices; establishing and communicating the corporate value system; keeping information confidential and disclosing only on a need to know basis; providing expert testimony and complying with federal, state, and local laws/regulations.
- Prepares and reviews project reports for submission to the client and project team in the standard corporate format by writing clearly and accurately. Must provide complete documentation that includes inspection, reports, photographs, local law mandates, and sign-offs.
- Provides NYC Department of Buildings Sign-Offs by reviewing, signing, and sealing DOB forms and related reports and drawings.
- Achieves financial objectives by keeping projects within cost estimate, analyzing variances, anticipating issues, initiating corrective actions; scheduling and approving project expenditures, analyzing and controlling staff costs; analyzing and controlling supply/equipment costs. Ensures accuracy of costing allocation for client billing.
- Facilitates accurate and timely billing by submitting accurate and complete times sheets as required on a weekly basis
- Maintains staff by recruiting, selecting, orienting, and training employees to meet job requirements and recruitment/retention initiatives. Makes certain that all staff members are continuously aligned with the goals and mission of the organization.
- Ensures staff results by coaching, counseling, and disciplining employees; planning, monitoring, and appraising job results with performance management goals that are aligned with the goals and mission of the organization. Provides mentoring to staff who have similar industry professional aspirations. Develops a climate of open communications.
- Ensures compliance with company procedures, legal regulations, and safety initiatives by communicating and enforcing compliance with staff. Ensures quality standards of manufactured products, construction is sound, and safe to occupy.
- Contributes to the team effort by undertaking the tasks required to accomplish related results as needed. Contributes to CANY’s effort by continually looking for ways to improve productivity and customer satisfaction by use of better technology, procedures, communications, and use of resources.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge/skills by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications. Learns from periodic performance appraisals and feedback received from Principals to assess personal strengths and development needs to accomplish the strategic goals of the organization.
JOB REQUIREMENTS: Requirements listed represent the knowledge, skill, and/or ability, mental/physical demands, and work environments required to perform the essential job functions. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Essential knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering (Structural Engineering preferred)
- At least 10 years' experience in engineering. (15 years' experience preferred, Structural Engineering preferred)
- Current PE license – NY State license required
- At least 10 years of experience in inspection of wall panels, curtain walls, veneers and EIFS. (15 years' experience preferred)
- Resolve complex technical issues, review construction documents for accuracy. conduct expert testimony, and develop staff on Special Inspection Requirements.
- Familiarity of the NYC Building Code.
- Continued education credits building enclosure systems.
- Demonstrated ability to lead people and get results through others.
- Ability to be organized, have attention to details, and plan and use good project management skills and tools.
- Good proficiency with Microsoft applications software for report writing.
- Good working knowledge of English, grammar, punctuation, spelling, style, etc. with the ability to read and write reports.
- Ability to respond to questions/complaints from top management, clients, public groups, government regulatory agencies, staff, or other stakeholders.
- Excellent analytical skills with the ability to solve problems, react quickly to situations, and coordinate activity under a variety of conditions and constraints in a timely manner.
- Ability to analyze and understand architectural drawings and the tasks necessary for inspection to ensure conformance to building codes and project construction documents
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports and legal documents.
- Ability to maintain project budget.
- Ability to communicate one-on-one and with small groups, to facilitate meetings, to train, to listen actively, and to persuade others to accept recommendations.
- Ability to be self-motivated and results oriented to accomplish objectives on schedule.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with internal departments and outside stakeholders to gain information and support in accomplishing goals.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The work requires traveling to job sites on commercial transportation or by use of personal automobile. Some work is carried out in office (or remotely), but majority is meetings with stakeholders or at the construction site in prevailing weather year-round. Work is mentally demanding. Employee needs to be able to stand, traverse working job site, work on scaffolding for tall buildings, climb stairs and ladders, and work in confined spaces to assess the work in progress and audit project manager reports. Ability to use all protective safety equipment. Vision abilities require- close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. Ability to use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. Position is exposed to a variety of conditions at construction job sites such as fumes, airborne particles, vibration, loud noises, etc.
CERTIFICATIONS/LICENSES/REGISTRATIONS: Must possess a current NY PE license. If driving a personal automobile, must possess valid motor vehicle operator’s license that is not under suspension or revocation and possess current automobile insurance coverage. Must possess or be capable of obtaining certification for scaffolding – NYC DOB Supported Scaffold Certification, NYC DOB Suspended Scaffold Certification, and10 Hour Construction OSHA - and keep current on safety training.